In this episode, Brendan Lee speaks with Jessica Colleu Terradas the Senior Officer Teaching and Learning Literacy and Instructional Coach in Canberra and Goulburn Catholic Education. In 2022, she travelled to the USA, England and France where she met with leading experts to investigate effective literacy screening and instructional practices to support older struggling readers as part of her Churchill Fellowship. She details some of the findings from her report in this chat.
She speaks about her amazing experience meeting people like Anita Archer and Stanislas Dehaene and goes through some case studies of schools that have implemented a Multi-Tiered System of Support framework effectively.
- Jessica Colleu Terradas Churchill Fellowship: To identify effective language and literacy screening and intervention practices for at-risk students
- Anita Archer
- Stanislas Dehaene – How We Learn
- Sigfried Englemann, Theory of Instruction
- 2 reports on better supporting students who enter secondary school with gaps in their foundational literacy and numeracy skills and guide about MTSS, published/funded by AERO in partnership with Monash Uni: https://www.edresearch.edu.au/resources/supporting-secondary-students-lacking-foundational-literacy-and-numeracy-skills-research-summaryEEF
- Diane and James Murphy’s book ‘Thinking Reading: what every secondary teacher need to know about reading’ https://www.amazon.com.au/Thinking-Reading-Every-Secondary-Teacher/dp/1911382683
- Improving literacy in secondary schools, by the Education Endowment Foundation: https://educationendowmentfoundation.org.uk/education-evidence/guidance-reports/literacy-ks3-ks4
- The national Institute for Direct Instruction (official website): https://www.nifdi.org/
- The Theory of Instruction: applications and strategies (1982 Ed.) by Engelmann & Carnine: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Doug-Carnine/publication/303721842_Theory_of_Instruction_Principles_and_Applications/links/574f661a08aef199238ef8b6/Theory-of-Instruction-Principles-and-Applications.pdf (download a revised copy) . Order a copy: https://www.amazon.com.au/Theory-Instruction-Applications-Siegfried-Engelmann/dp/1880183803
- Podcast: the Science of Reading platform with Susan Lambert https://amplify.com/science-of-reading-the-podcast/
You can connect with Jess:
You can connect with Brendan:
Support the Knowledge for Teachers Podcast:
About Jessica Colleu Terradas
Jessica Colleu Terradas is the Senior Officer Teaching and Learning Literacy and Instructional Coach in Canberra and Goulburn Catholic Education (CECG), contributing to the implementation of Catalyst, a system-wide education approach to teaching and learning, including 56 schools in ACT and NSW. Prior to this, she worked as a literacy coach in the Literacy Guarantee Unit for the South Australian Education Department, where she spent her time supporting teachers and advising leaders in implementing high quality evidence-based reading instruction across rural, regional and metropolitan public schools. In 2022, she travelled to the USA, England and France where she met with leading experts to investigate effective literacy screening and instructional practices to support older struggling readers as part of her Churchill Fellowship. Jessica’s work was nationally recognised in 2019 with a Commonwealth Bank Teaching Award. She has led state-wide networking opportunities for educators in Australia and holds two Masters: a Master of Education, specialised in special education from the University of Edith Cowan (Western Australia) and a Master of Anthropology from the French School for Advanced Studies in the Social Sciences in Paris.